The role of massage is well described in Ayurvedic literature for curative purposes. The Ayurvedic massage is unique in its property by focusing on Spinal Health and other Vital points (known as Marmas). In Ayurveda, Massage is known as ABHAYNGA and is done with medicated oils and herbs. Ayurvedic medicines
Health Benefits of Ayurvedic Massage treatment (Abhyanga):
- It reduces muscle tension with loosening the contracted, shortened and hardened Muscles. It also stimulates flaccid muscle improving blood circulation and drainage of
- Ayurvedic massage improves the
oxygen carryingcapacity during the procedure and stimulates the nerves supplying internal organ directly or indirectly allowing more blood supply to them.
- Ayurvedic Massage results in increased mobility and range of motions in joints keeping muscles more elastic and nourished.
- Ayurvedic massage reduces the inflammation in muscles and joints and hence promote recovery
formpain and restricted movements of joints.
- Ayurvedic massage lubricates the skin enhances its health & elasticity with enhancing sweat & sebaceous gland functioning.
Here are some of the types of Abhyanga (Ayurvedic massage) performed by Ayurvedic practitioner:
Abhyanga (Whole body massage with medicated oil): This therapy involves the application of specific herbal medicated oils followed by
Udvartanam (Massage using dry herbal powder): This therapy involves rubbing of dry herbal powder on the body with great force and special techniques. It is one of the detoxification processes to remove the skin and lymphatic toxins. The heat produces in the therapy stimulate the
Lepam (Massage with Herbal Paste): This therapy involves the application of herbal paste all over the body. It is a natural treatment to diminish different incendiary illness
Navara Kezhi (Ayurvedic massage with Medicated rice and medicated milk): The herbal drugs strengthening the muscle tone and nerve conduction are used in Navara Kezhi along with selected medicated oils. This therapy involves Herbal oil massages followed by application of medicated cooked rice and milk using Rice bolus packs. This therapy has proven efficacy in multiple disorders involving muscle and nerve conduction disorders such as Arthritis, Myopathies, neurological disorders like paralysis, sciatica, muscular atrophy